Saturday, June 18, 2011

Moving On

You ever feel like the world is passing you by? Like everybody else is moving forward, and you're somehow stuck in place. That's how I feel. I don't leave the house much, and so even a look out the window can make it feel like everybody's in motion and I'm frozen in time.
A new store or deli that suddenly appears on the corner makes me feel like I've been away for a long time. Of course, I realize time is moving forward. I'm just no longer part of the outside world.

I'm a teacher, or I used to be a teacher, or whatever. Anyway, this week the kids I used to teach graduated. This was the last class I taught before I got sick. This not only means that they're moving on. It also means that there are no more kids left at my school whom I've taught. I had a great bond with my students. Now, there are no students left at my school with whom I had that bond. Few of the kids even know me. Can I even call it my school anymore? It seems I've moved on without even moving.

I know some of my students read this, so congratulations on your graduation. Sorry I wasn't able to be there at the ceremony, and I'm more sorry I wasn't around during the last two years.  I'm proud of you.

3 comments:

  1. Jon,
    The number of students who spoke about you at graduation and the way in which they spoke about you left no doubt about the tremendous impact you have had on all the students you taught. Congratulations on your achievements as a teacher!
    Warmly,
    Amy Carson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Everyone was thinking of you at graduation, especially during the speeches. You have had a deep and lasting impact on our kids. The kids talk about you all the time. They love you.

    NB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Cuba,
    You are an incredible person and impacted so many of us in a positive way. I think that even the kids you do not know at Rodeph know about you and know what a fabulous person and teacher you were and are.

    You made class so much fun and every student you've had has been more than lucky to have been taught by you.
    Thank you for helping me realize my love of math and photoshop!! I'm sure you did the same for many others.
    All the best, Molly D.

    ps. Rodeph will always be your school, whether you are teaching there or not.

    ReplyDelete