Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chemo Brain

I was supposed to start writing about the surgery, and I will, but I just came from week one of my second round of chemotherapy. I sat for four hours today, and was infused intravenously through the port in my chest with a cocktail of anti-nausea medicine followed by two types of cancer drugs.
Tomorrow and during the next few days, I will most likely experience the typical not-so-fun side-effects; but immediately after chemo, you get this burst of energy. You can't necessarily think that straight, but you've got the get up and go-go. I call it chemo brain.

Taking that into consideration,  I decided to write my post. Chemo brain doesn't last that long, and I thought I'd try to make use of it. When the energy runs out, all you're left with is a scrambled memory. Right now, the drugs are flowing through my body and are attacking all sorts of parts of me, and also the cancer hopefully. Oh! My hair is starting to fall out. It's either that or male pattern baldness. I'll have to get it shaved soon, because it's gross and depressing when it starts getting everywhere -- even onto the keys of this computer. Oh! I also played with my son. He's high energy and I was able to keep up. That was great.

I was going to let Cancer get a word in. He is amusing as well as lethal. And I'm sure he has some amusing take on chemo brain. But, I've decided we don't need to hear from him today. He's a dick-head. Never forget that. I'm sure we'll hear from him soon though. I may need a little help writing the surgery part. I was out for a while, and when the chemo kicks in...

I never expected to have a writing-partner at all. Never mind, we're also trying to kill each other. And that's why I call it chemo brain. I hope this has been inspiring and informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment