Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Little Things

Last night, I taped up all my tubes and connectors, and went out with my wife to our friend's wedding. It took a lot of strength, a pain killer or two, and more preparation than I thought. But, it had to be done. I've lost a good amount of weight, so I had to have a suit of mine brought in (there was no way I could survive shopping for a suit), and I needed to buy a new shirt a whole neck size smaller.
I have this week off from chemo, so I was hoping to have a little extra energy. I also hydrated (took a liter of saline intravenously) each of the three days before the wedding.  I was terrified something would happen with me that would prevent me from going. Luckily, nothing did.

I couldn't eat or drink anything there, but it didn't matter. My wife has been a rock for me, but she's had to give up so much. Too much. One of those things she's had to do without has been having her husband by her side at weddings, parties, and other events where everyone else there is with their significant others. She needed to go to this wedding with me. (And I probably needed to go too.) Plus, she loves weddings, and I have missed a few important ones over the last two years due to my illness including those of both of her brothers. But last night, we danced, congratulated our friends, my wife ate and drank, I sucked on ice. It was truly a fun night out. It will never make up for all the times I haven't been able to be there with her, but last night we snatched back a piece of our lives. A little piece, but a significant one. Thank you to my wife who reminded me how important it is to keep fighting for these little things, even if it is difficult. That's why I'm fighting Cancer in the first place. I can barely move today, but it was worth it. I love you, baby.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. It was truly special sitting behind you and Randi during the ceremony. When she rested her head on your shoulder, it made me smile.
    love,
    Stuken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow---so beautiful. Adam and I were so happy you both were there to celebrate with us. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful post. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. made my day. :) hope you can ride this wave a little longer. xoxo

    ReplyDelete